With the AMP 7.1 Release, we focused our efforts on improving the performance, scalability and user experience of AMP and related tools. Key areas of focus were toolbars, especially for customers who are hosting their own AMP instance, performance, scalability, and a few usability updates.
In recent months a number of browser updates have forced a few changes in the AMP Toolbars. Several updates have been made, including the following:
- The AMP Toolbars are being renamed as ACCESS Assistant. With this release, naming of the latest toolbars has been updated to reflect this rebranding. The old AMP Toolbar for Firefox, which is deprecated with the Firefox 48 release, remains in the system and is still called AMP Toolbar for Firefox. Note that this toolbar will be deprecated toward the end of Q1 2017 with the ACCESS Assistant 2.0 release, which will include a redesign of the toolbars, as well as the most used features from the old Firefox toolbar.
- Fonts and other files referenced from the toolbars are now embedded in the toolbars so customers who are hosting their own AMP instances can successfully use the toolbars internally in environments that cannot communicate with systems outside of the customer network.
- A number of automated tests that were reporting false positives have been updated.
See the detailed release notes attached below for more details on toolbar updates.
AMP for Mobile Update
A new version of AMP for Mobile is now available, providing support for iOS 10 and Xcode 8, and Android 7, API 25 and Android Studio 2.2.1. Additionally, rules have been updated to address changes as a result of the Section 508 refresh, and reported bugs were resolved.
Defect Tracking Fields on Globals and Patterns
In the last AMP release new fields were added to violation instances to allow users to specify a Defect ID, Status, and Description for the related ID in external bug-tracking systems. These fields have been added to Globals and Patterns in this release, so that data can be tracked for instances that have been grouped into a global or pattern. When these fields are updated for a global or pattern, all of the individual violation instances will inherit this data. As part of this change, the Violation Instances report has been updated to include a column that will indicate which violation instances are members of a global or pattern.
Better Labelling of Globals and Patterns in the Violations Report
In the Violations Instances report in AMP all violation instances associated with Globals and Patterns were listed with no indication that they were a member of a Global or Pattern. This report has been improved with the addition of a Globals/Patterns column that will list the related Global or Pattern, if there is one. If an instance is not part of a Global or Pattern, this column will be blank for that violation.
Advisory Best Practices
A new field has been added to Best Practices to allow organizations to exclude some Best Practices from being included in compliance score calculations if the Best Practice is advisory in nature. A new filter has been added to the Best Practices list to allow users to filter out Best Practices that are not included in the compliance scores.
Bug Fixes and Enhancements
A number of smaller bug fixes and enhancements were made, including:
- Allowing users to print report screens directly from the browser
- Improving the performance of the Copy Report function
- Fixing the VPAT "Roll Up Best Practices" feature
- Fixing a few issues related to creating modules from file uploads
- User experience improvements and bug fixes related to custom severity mapping
For more details, review the Detailed Release Notes attached to this article.
Opt-In for Product Emails
With the last AMP release, a new policy was implemented requiring users to opt in to receive product announcement emails. If you have not opted in and wish to receive these emails, including release announcements, please do so. To opt-in, go to your preferences in AMP and select the “Email Preferences” option. Select the checkbox and Make it Happen. If you later wish to unsubscribe, simple deselect that checkbox.
If you host your own AMP instance and wish to opt in, email AMP support at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. We will add you to the list.
To learn more about other changes in this release, download the Detailed Release Notes.